Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a diamond bar pin and want it converted into a

Customer Question

I have a diamond bar pin and want it converted into a diamond ring. I am afraid to leave it at a jeweler for fear the diamonds will be replaced. How should I proceed?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

For the most part, a reputable jeweler will not risk their longstanding reputation for short term gain. However, to ensure that your diamonds are not swapped when leaving them at a shop you should request to have each gem 'plotted out'. Plotting is when a jeweler maps out any inclusions in the gem which is unique to each one. You will want a copy of plot for yourself and one for the jeweler. If the jeweler does not agree to plotting, then I recommend they be taken elsewhere. Again, for the most part, diamond switching is not rampant.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora