Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

I have a French Clock with matching urns and wish to know

Customer Question

I have a French Clock with matching urns and wish to know who the clockmaker might be. I can furnish photos of the clock, urns, clock movement and describe the markings on the movement. The rear markings appear to be an anchor with a D on the left and an A on the right; below this are the numerals 943.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Can you please provide a clear, tight close-up of the marking?

Also, is there anything under the base?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No markings under the clock. My camera will not provide a closer look at the marking. The marking is as described above. Too bad you cannot zoom into the photo because it is as described - nothing more.I have a second question that was placed with Just Answer a week ago, ( has gone unanswered) for a different clock. Can you check on the status of that clock as well?

The photo will only zoom to a small extent. I'll try to see what I can find--it's not clear enough to do an image search which is the best resource. I'll get back to you on it.

I'm not sure why no one picked up the other clock, I'll mark that one and work on that as well.

Hopefully I should have answers for both by this afternoon if not sooner.

Are you absolutely positive the letters are a D and an A? Because the photo will not zoom--too distant. Can you take a picture with the phone or camera much closer so I can zoom better? D and A with an anchor brings no matches, but sometimes I can discern that it's a different letter by examining it under zoom.