AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.

I have a Kazak carpet that I would like your opinion on.

Customer Question

I have a Kazak carpet that I would like your opinion on. Whatever information would be helpful. A price estimate would be nice too. I The size of the carpet is 5 x 6 with full pile. The brown has oxidized. I also have 2 ivory horsemen I would like your assessment on. How much do you charge for your services?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help. I'm only able to appraise one item per question--would you like me to proceed with one or the other?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The ivory. I have more pictures if you need them. These have been in my family since 1968.

Are you in the United States? If so, the ivory is not salable due to current strict laws on Asian elephant ivory. In that case we should work on the rug instead. Outside of the US, the ivory may have value.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK. Than lets work on the carpet. If you nee more pictures tell me.

Can you get me a picture of a small area of the reverse of the carpet, with a tape measure, ruler, or quarter on it, so I can count the knots?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here are long and wide close ups

Thank you!

This is a Caucasian Kazak Eagle rug in the Chelabord style.

It appears to be fairly contemporary. It looks very much like the rugs that Richard Rothstein imports.

On a retail level, the cost would be around $4,000.00. However, resale at auction would likely be no more than $1,000.00, because it does appear to be so recently made.

19th century Kazaks have a much better resale market.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What makes you say it is new?

The colors are quite bright on both the front and back--it seems to be vegetable dyes, and if so they would not be so dark 100+ years later. Same for the uniform tightness of the knots, which show no signs of being walked on, hung on a wall, or draped over a table. The motifs are also very typical of the new production coming out of the Caucasus. It doesn't look older than 21st century. These rugs are still quite expensive new, as they are hand made, but they don't carry the resale of the old examples.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would like you to text Victor, an authority on Caucasian carpets. He states that carpet is 100 years old.(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Needless to say, I'm not satisfied with your answer. Do they fake oxidation in the color brown?

It's my understanding that you came here for a second opinion. I am not a dealer, and therefore have no interest in the age or value of the rug. I've been a certified appraiser of Oriental rugs for almost 25 years, and in my opinion this is a relatively new rug. The differences in the brown is not oxidation, it's a variation in the vegetable dye known as abrashes. These rugs are in common production, and are not particularly similar to the styles and colors used 100 years ago.

However, if you trust the dealer, then certainly you should go with his opinion. Unfortunately we are not permitted to contact by phone or text without charging a second fee.

I'll opt out, perhaps another Oriental rug expert is available to discuss it with you.