Judy Bailey
Judy Bailey,
Experience:  Teacher at Sonoma County Schools

Where, on the Internet, would I research an old pottery

Customer Question

Where, on the Internet, would I research an old pottery vase?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the pattern and the mark on the bottom.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The first is of the bottom. It's a curious little vase. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did not receive an answer.
Expert:  Judy Bailey replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using justanswer. There is not a whole lot I can tell you about the vase. I really cannot read the bottom, if you can take a better lit shot, or tell me what it says it would help such as date or name in case it is a famous potter. I also cannot see the inside. This type of bisque firing usually is glazed inside with some kind of brush or poured in and swirled around.

I'm assuming that you know the firing method used was raku ... a very fun and nerve wracking method of firing clay since you the potter make the decision to remove the pot from the firing place. I've fired pots in a garbage can, stopping (like with popcorn popping) when the crackling seemed sufficient. There are two recognized methods ... the American method and A spattering technique was used to get the wonderful "outer space" look. The method is low fire so the glazes are low fire glazes often using copper oxide or lead based so I would not eat out of them.

Anything else you wanted to know, just ask.

Regards ***** ***** would love a positive rating as it is the only way I am paid for my answers.