Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I think we may have an original oil from art dealers Joseph

Customer Question

I think we may have an original oil from art dealers Joseph or Ernest Brummer. Believe they both attended art school in Paris and painted. Can we sent a photo?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

What is the size, not including the frame? Do not remove from the frame.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
19-3/4" W x 23-3/4" H are the dimension of the stretcher on which the canvas is attached.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There are wooden triangular shims in each corner of the stretcher

The style matches several paintings by Benedicte Brummer of Denmark and dating 1881-1974.

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

My research indicates that your Brummer painting would have an estimated retail value of $400-500 assuming good condition and depending on sale geographic location.

As for retail value, I have seen art sell for 4 to 5 times auction values depending on the tastes of the art gallery owner as well as location of the gallery.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We viewed a wide variety of Benedictine Brenner's paintings online and do not believe they are anything like our painting. His style appears much more modern and the subject matter is different. We believe our painting is much older.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Our painting appears to be heavy layering with palette.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
palette knife
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the artist signature is BRUMMER not Brenner!

I am so sorry you have had to wait. I was having my dinner. I am on Central time USA.

I realize the signature is Brummer.

I mentioned that your painting looks like SOME of Benedicte Brummer paintings. I realized not all.

Give me some time to research further to see what I can locate.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Where did you find the information that the Brummer's actually painted?

Joseph studied sculpture.

See:

Joseph Brummer
"During the autumn of 1908, he shared a studio space at Cité Falguière with avant-garde sculptor Joseph Csaky, who was also from Szeged and Budapest.[2] Brummer studied sculpture under Jules-Felix Coutan, Auguste Rodin and in 1908 Henri Matisse. He also attended the Académie de la Grande Chaumière, and thus got to know contemporary artists."
Source: Wikipedia

Please send any examples of the paintings by Joseph or Ernest Brummer.

Please note the subject matter in your painting includes a windmill and a water scene - typical of Denmark.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Both Joseph and Ernest studied art at the Sorbonne. I don't have examples and I don't know what the first name of our artist is. It is definitely an impressionist who uses a heavy palette knife and is very talented in perspective, composition and color. Since you've been unable to help us narrow our search beyond what we already accomplished, we would thank you for your efforts, but are not fully satisfied with the results and would therefore wish to avail ourselves of your guarantee.

Site Charges:

We professionals are not considered employees of Just Answer, We are just verified by the site to answer questions in our fields. We are considered site users just like you. Therefore we have no knowledge of or control over the finances of the site or what they charge customers.
If you wish to discuss site charges, you may contact customer support at

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

I also contact customer help on your behalf but it is best that you contact them, too.

Kind regards,

Doris