Wayne, Auctioneer
Experience:  40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985
67223111

I have a sword that was given to me by my mother that she

Customer Question

Hi, I have a sword that was given to me by my mother that she said came from her grandfather....how do I figure out its origin?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help. I'll need a few things:

1) An overall photo of the sword

2) A clear photo of the insignia inside the hand guard--the one posted is kind of blurry.

3) Examine the blade carefully, especially up near the hilt. Are there any markings at all on it?

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, not sure why but I had originally added all these photos you are asking for.

So sorry--for some reason even when people upload multiple photos in their first question, only one ever shows up for us. I have no idea why!

I'm having a very hard time making out the markings on the blade. What is your impression of what they say?

RM Pell lived in Anadarko, OK at the beginning of the 20th century, around 1900-1920.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Lol, you have answered the ONE thing that I already knew. What I don't know and was hoping to figure out is:
1. What kind of sword is it and who/why is was "issued", since I assume it is from some "group"
2. What is the emblem on the hilt guard? and what does it signify? #1 probably answers this
3. What does the RM stand for, since I don't think it is the initials, although Pell is clearly a family name. Probably some group designation/rank?
4. What the writing on the blade is/means, although I assume they are likely forgers marks/signature.I don't think better pictures will make the blade marks any more legible since the ones provided are pretty good resolution and very zoomable. They seem clearly "signatures" and to me the best I can make out is...
- a circle mark S?ineath and another circle mark, with a C underneath
- Cou(with a circle over it) t or l _ _ and maybe one more letter, underneath Aine?_ _ _ f?
I have tried to indicate the letter that I think are there, with a ? after a letter that seems unclear and a _ where it seems there is a letter but nothing can be made out to guess

Sorry, I will refer this to another appraiser. I can't read those signatures at all.

R.M. is a set of initials, R.M. Pell is the name of the man in Ohio.

Jennifer

Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

This is a Knights Templar Sword circa 1860s Civil War period, This is very unusual and was probably custom made as most "KT" swords are very distinctive with a cross as a hilt. These are considered Rooster Swords. There is no definitive answer to the symbolic use of the Rooster or Cock.

Here is some History:

”…THE ANCIENTS MADE THE COCK A SYMBOL OF COURAGE, AND CONSECRATED HIM TO MARS, PALLAS, AND BELLONA, DEITIES OF WAR. SOME HAVE SUPPOSED THAT IT IS IN REFERENCE TO THIS QUALITY THAT THE COCK IS USED IN THE JEWEL OF THE CAPTAIN-GENERAL OF…KNIGHTS TEMPLAR. …THE COCK WAS THE EMBLEM OF THE SUN AND OF LIFE…ANCIENT CHRISTIANS ALLEGORICALLY DEPLORED THE DEATH OF THE SOLAR ORB IN CHRIST, THE COCK RECALLED ITS LIFE AND RESURRECTION. …IT SEEMS PROBABLE THAT WE SHOULD GIVE A CHRISTIAN INTERPRETATION TO THE JEWEL OF A KNIGHT TEMPLAR AS SYMBOL (the Rooster) OF THE RESURRECTION.”

Other Masonic scholars interpret the Rooster as being a unique symbol of mortality, as representing "THE BEGINING AND END OF ALL THINGS". The Rooster has appeared throughout Masonry for ages, and it does so not out of any frivolous reasons espoused by crude simpletons. Many Masons are familiar with the highly philosophical and esoteric CHAMBER OF REFLECTION. This room, still utilized in select circles, mostly in Europe, represents an important stepping stone for the candidate. This is not the place to expound on the meaning of the Chamber itself, but to explain, that among the many alchemical symbols which decorate the wall, there is that of MERCURY, which is here represented by none other then the Rooster. This bird is also very symbolic of Faith, Perseverance and Vigilance. And since the Rooster crows at dawn to announce the light of the new day, likewise does the bird announce the light (Freemasonry) which the candidate will receive in the future. (PLEASE NOTE:) A further bit of explanation along with a very striking photograph showing an image of the Rooster as he actually appears on the wall of one such Masonic CAMBER OF REFLECTION can be found in the book, "SYMBOLS OF FREEMASONRY" by Daniel Beresniak. Another interesting fact and one well worth scrutinizing for its possible origins is that the Rooster forms part of the Crest of the Sinclair Family. As many know, the Sinclairs (St. Clair) form an important European Knights Templar component. Recently, advancing a highly controversial theory, some Masonic researchers believe they have uncovered genuine proof of a strong and direct link between the Craft and the ancient Persian/Roman Cult of the Light-God Mithra (Mithras).

Your sword would sell for $800-1000 at auction.

Thanks,

Please click on the stars*****after you read my answer.