Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a silver brooch/pin with a safety clasp/roll over

Customer Question

I have a silver brooch/pin with a safety clasp/roll over closure.It is stamped on the back with the word "sterling", and I would like help identifying the symbol next to the stamp. It is a rounded "C" with a line in the middle to make it look like an "E". And there is a small circle just opposite the middle arm of the "E". Any ideas?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 3 months ago.

HI Lauren,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Please upload clear images of the markings.

Please see our help page for help uploading images.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Or:

Go to http://www.imgur.com.

1. Click "Computer".
2. Double click the image you want to upload.
3. Click "Start Upload".
4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

If that doesn't work for you:

You can email the pictures to***@******.***, and ask them to forward the pictures to me. You must tell them the pictures are for the Antiques category, and give them your user name and mine, which is Judith-on-Antiques. It is important for you to send the email from the address with which you registered at Just Answer. If you are sending them from a phone, you must put the original email address in the text.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This has become more difficult than I thought it should be. My husband is out of town with our camera, so I won't be able to send any pictures. We're you not able to find a ***** *****ke the one I described?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will need to continue this when he returns in about 4 weeks.I was hoping to have the info before my nephew's wedding this week end--I'm presenting the bride with the pin. I guess I'm out $40, but thanks anyway.

Hi again Lauren,

It isn't possible for me to value any object without knowing what it is, and that requires that I see it and the mark.

I'm going to Opt Out, which will open your questions to the other experts. Perhaps someone will be able to value your pin without seeing it or the mark.

You don't need to do anything. If someone knows the answer, they will contact you.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Judith-on-Antiques

Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 3 months ago.

Just chiming in to say that this is the type of item it's impossible to value without a visual. Happy to help if you can upload photos! Cel phone photos are usually fine. There are tens of thousands of jewelry marks out there, so we can't randomly scroll through them trying to make a match--if we can see them, it gives us a lot of small clues that help us narrow it down.

Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

I will be happy to help with identifying your brooch. Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora