LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher

Trying to understand the value of an original drawing in

Customer Question

Trying to understand the value of an original drawing in marker on light cardboard by Keith Haring
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a certified appraiser. I would be happy to help you. Here is the artist biography:

Born in Kutztown, Pennsylvania, Keith Haring became known for graffiti art and cartoon art and became a leading figure in the New York contemporary art world of the second half of the 20th century.

He was raised in Kutztown and then after high school, moved to Pittsburgh and began to study commercial art. In 1978, he moved to New York City and studied at the School of Visual Arts where he and artist Kenny Scharf became companions.

Haring began to experiment with graffiti, painting first on subway walls. He became known for his complex, pandemonic, jigsaw -puzzle like paintings, intended to be iconography of American life. Usually he would begin by making the border around the work and then would go inside the space. He said "the whole painting is the cartoon of a cartoon."

In 1982, he had his first exhibition, which was held at the Tony Shafrazi Gallery in New York. Whitney Museum curators organized a major retrospective of his work in 1997. He died of AIDS in 1990.

I will now value this for you This was one of the last pieces he did before he passed in 1990

Keith Haring (1958 - 1990)

Keith Haring was active/lived in New York, Pennsylvania. Keith Haring is known for pop-modern graffiti, figure and genre painting.

This is the closest as yours I have found and the blue auction house link is where it sold for $3,226.00 If you are looking for insurnce value to insure your piece the insurance value would be $3800.00

Sans titre

Hammer Price*: $3,226 (€2,875)
*(Does not include auction fee to buyer)
Low Estimate: $2,019 (€1,800)
High Estimate: $2,468 (€2,200)
Signature: Signed and Dated
Size: 11.42" x 7.87"
(29.00cm x 20.00cm)
Created: 1989
Medium: felt / Paper
Auction Lot: 125
Auction House: Eve Auctions
Auction Date: 06/20/2016

Places looking to buy his artwork :

Heritage Auctions

Dallas, TX

Contact Gallery

Larsen Gallery

Scottsdale, AZ

Contact Gallery

Long Island City, NY

Contact Gallery

David David Gallery

Philadelphia, PA

Contact Gallery

Aventura, FL

Contact Gallery

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you :

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all question.