Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a dresser made by the West Michigan Furniture Co.,

Customer Question

Hello. I have a dresser made by the West Michigan Furniture Co., Holland, MI. It is a white painted piece with a chrome surround on the face. The knobs on it are not original, but I think I have the original pulls. I know it was made around, or before 1974. It is 58" wide, 18" deep and 31" high. I would like to know the value. Thank you very much.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

You may have already seen this, but just in case you have not, I will include it here.

"The West Michigan Furniture Company was the first large-scale furniture manufacturer in Holland, and the plant was the first local factory with electric lights. This enabled workers to adhere to a ten-hour work day. During the 1890s, a period of national recession, the company employed 20 percent of Holland's work force, even through the worst economic troubles. In 1899 employment peaked at 635 people.

In 1889 Frank W. Hadded, George P. Hummer, and Frank Metz founded the West Michigan Furniture Company in Holland. The company produced only bedroom and dining room furniture, which was sold by a twenty-five-member sales force throughout the U.S. and parts of Canada and Mexico. In 1906 the firm created the Engel Lumber and Land Company in Louisiana, which supplied raw material to the Michigan plant. Hummer and his descendants ran the Holland business from 1889 to 1975."

By ***** *****on III

My research indicates that your dresser would have an estimated retail value of $500-650 assuming you can find the original pulls and depending on sale geographic location. If you cannot find the pulls, then the value would be about $425-500.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris