Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have what appears to be an original Reynolds oil on

Customer Question

I have what appears to be an original Lee Reynolds oil on canvas. It is a still life of a green flower cart. The size of the painting is 60" X 48". Is it original? What might its value be - it is in pristine condition.
Thanks,
Bill M.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Lee Reynolds Burr born 1936 -

"Born in Los Angeles, Lee Reynolds Burr has a BFA from the University of Southern California. He has served as Chairman, Board of Directors of East Park Gallery in Los Angeles.

He was the director for Vanguard Studios in Beverly Hills, California in the late sixties and many thousands of artworks bear the signature "Lee Reynolds" or "Lee Burr". Such artworks were done by others, and following is an attempt by the artist to clear up the confusion existing about these works:

LEE REYNOLDS
I as an Artist have done no more than 200 "Original" Paintings and Sculptures in my life.

Lee Reynolds was simply a trade name. It was attached to numerous artworks and designs at Vanguard Studios. Vanguard Studios was the largest distributor of decorative art in the world at the time. I guided product development. I was personally responsible for many designs, prototypes, and compositions; however, no "LEE REYNOLDS" signed paintings were actually done by my hand.

In fact, paintings sold internationally, bearing the signature "LEE REYNOLDS" were in every case painted by Staff Artists in the employ of Vanguard Studios. Vanguard Studios sold ONLY decorative art, NOT collector art.

LEE BURR
No paintings signed "Lee Burr" done at Vanguard Studio's, ever touched my hand. Only edition Graphics and signed posters bear the signature "LEE BURR" and that signature is authentic.

Paintings signed "Lee Burr" and done at East Park Gallery only rarely touched my hand. Almost all were produced by my then assistant Rudolpho Carlos, and were responses to commissions from art dealers. They were done and offered in any number of sizes and colorations. They were interpretations deriving from an example work conceived and executed entirely by my hand.

A few of these examples and only a few actually done by my hand at East Park Gallery were ever released; simply because paint was splattered on them over time by my assistant as he produced derivative works. We called such works "series originals". These artworks were then priced from about $1,000 to $2,000 US.

Important: To identify authorship, and eliminate confusion I now sign all my personal works- those done entirely by my hand- with my full name- Lee Reynolds Burr. I have recently added a thumb print to such original works. I hope this eliminates some of the confusion.

Source:

LEE REYNOLDS BURR 5/28/2008"

Statement from Lee Burr:

"Lee Reynolds was simply a trade name. It was attached to numerous artworks and designs at Vanguard Studios. Vanguard Studios was the largest distributor of decorative art in the world at the time. I guided product development. I was personally responsible for many designs, prototypes, and compositions; however, no "LEE REYNOLDS" signed paintings were actually done by my hand.

In fact, paintings sold internationally, bearing the signature "LEE REYNOLDS" were in every case painted by Staff Artists in the employ of Vanguard Studios. Vanguard Studios sold ONLY decorative art, NOT collector art."

Sadly. your painting is not an original by Lee Reynolds Burr.

As a decorative piece, it would have an estimated retail value of about $200-250 assuming good framed condition and depending on sale geographic location.

I truly wish I had better news.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Actually these originally sold for $1000-2000 which I think may be a more realistic current retail value.

I apologize for my typos here.

Kind regards,

Doris

I note yours does not have splatters so my original assessment is correct - $20-250.

Kind regards,

Doris

I apologize for the confusion.

I tried to edit my answers here but the site system would not allow it.

Again, I must apologize.

Please do not hold site system problems against me.

Kind regards,

Doris