Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

We were given an appraised value of $23,000 on our china

Customer Question

We were given an appraised value of $23,000 on our china cabinet and matching buffet. Are we correct in asking $14,000 from dealers?
• Matching elegant marble top china cabinet and buffet/sideboard from the American Renaissance Revival Period, 1876 to 1917. Walnut bases on the china cabinet and buffet/sideboard are externally identical, measuring 37-1/2 inches tall, 46-1/2 inches wide, and 20-1/2 inches deep. Drawers are hand cut dove tail, original glass and velvet lining in china cabinet and original hardware. The only finish touch-up to these pieces was a light coat of tung oil to preserve the original finish. The assembled heights of the china cabinet and the buffet/sideboard are 98 inches and 75 inches tall, respectively.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello Ellen

As a General Rule a dealer/antique shop will give you anywhere from 30% to 50 % of what the appraised value is. Appraised value is the retail value that they would sell this for in their shops. So if you were given and appraised value of 23,000.00, then 30% of that would be 16,100.00. It would go down from there. 50% of value would be 11,500.00. So you selling for 14,000.00 would allow them to make some money off of this when they resale it.

Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.

If you do not mind rating this I would greatly appreciate it.
Clicking the top star on the top left of the page does this
Thank you for taking time to rate this.
If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.