Wayne, Auctioneer
Experience:  40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985

Re: Antique carved lion head. Needlepoint throne/carved

Customer Question

Re: Antique carved lion head. Needlepoint throne/carved mahogany large scale arm chair (as described online). Circa 1910
My concern is that the lion heads don't match! Have you ever come across an antique where this is the case? I would like to describe the heads as being similar, but fear that I would have to apply some mental gymnastics. Seller asking $950.00
Any input would be appreciated.
San Francisco
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** have been dealing in and appraising Antiques for over 40 years, and I can help you with this. I don't see a problem with this chair other than some of the upholstery and some chips and small pieces missing in the wood. The lion heads are hand carved and are never exactly alike; however, these vary more than some. I agree with the time period. I think it could be earlier possibility 1880-1890. If you are thinking of buying this I would offer $600 pointing out the flaws and go to $750 at most. Good luck.

Expert:  Wayne replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything else I can tell you about this? It is important that you click on the stars *****. This is the way justanswer compensates me for my time and efforts without additional cost to you. It has been a pleasure working with you.
Thanks again,