Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.

I have two matching Murano Glass bowls. From research I find

Customer Question

I have two matching Murano Glass bowls. From research I find something that says Ermanno Toso? How can I tell a value
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your beautiful Murano bowls.

Could you very kindly attach a close up of the label.

Also, how big are they across?

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
11.5" at the widest
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not really good on the computer. Just wondering if the information went through to you?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello.....are you still here?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Mr. Robert.....are you still online? Thanks

Thanks so much for the photo of the label, that helps a lot, and is the kind that was used on Murano glass made by Fratelli Toso (The Toso Brothers) in the late 1950s, and which nicely confirms the date, these two dishes are rising 60 years old.

Here's what a 1955 - 1965 Fratelli Toso label in better condition looks like. And yes, you are right, this particular bowl was designed by Ermanno Toso, one of the greatest geniuses of Murano glass deisgn in the second quarter of the 20th century. The Fratelli Toso company is one enormous family of Tosos: here's a good short history about them if you are interested.

The form is known as "water splash" because the shape looks like water frozen at the moment of a splash and the glass is triple cased, meaning there are three encased and sommerso (submerged) layers, two of which are colored and lattimo (milky) opaque and the top one ice blue, all three covered in a clear glass casing. The blue layer is further embellished with aventurine, a mineral dust that creates gold streaking and sparkles. All-in-all a perfect example of Mid-Century Modern design and an equally perfect metaphor for the freedom and spontaneity of the age.

Despite all this recognition and artistic merit, Murano glass from this era is still ridiculously low in value, considering what it is. If you were to see a pair of bowls identical to yours in an antique store, they would have a full retail price of around $200 for the pair. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes. Expect to get 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at auction or on line (eBay etc).

The up side of these modest values is that this Murano glass is so affordable and this is a great time to buy, buy and buy as values are only going to go in one direction and that's up. There is no more glass of this artistic merit being made in Italy (no-one can afford the labor and materials to do so) and the craft of art glass, in continuous production in one form or another since the Roman times, is on the verge of vanishing completely.

So I would hang on to these and enjoy them, and who knows, by the time you are ready to pass them on to your heirs, you can add a zero to their value. Meanwhile, go on line (eBay) and see the amazing bargains to be had!

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 month ago.

I hope all is okay? And that you were able to read my answer (above).

I assume you must be having computer problems, since I haven’t heard from you, however, if you are able to receive this, could you kindly take a moment to rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you.

We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. Or, if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line.

Thanks so much,