Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President, Association of Online Appraisers. Author of 3 books on collecting.
57035021

I HAVE A KEATON MUSIC TYPEWRITER 33 KEY. CAN YOU TELL ME

Customer Question

I HAVE A KEATON MUSIC TYPEWRITER 33 KEY. CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT ITS VALUE MAY BE AT THIS TIME?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: IT APPEARS TO BE INTACT WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE MANUAL. THE CASE IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION AS WELL AS THE KEATON ITSELF.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: WHAT ELSE WOULD I HAVE TO KNOW?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

The Keaton Music Typewriter, a machine used to print musical manuscripts, was in production in the mid-20th century. The 33 key version was patented in 1953.

Here's a link to the patent.

http://www.musicprintinghistory.org/images/music-typewriters/keaton/keaton-1953-US2631712.pdf

This machine is unusual in that the paper goes underneath the machine and lies flat. The original machine was sold for $225.

If your machine is in excellent cosmetic and functioning condition, the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of your musical typewriter is approximately $6,000.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about this item. I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you.