Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

I am interested to know what my Western Stoneware 25 gallon

Customer Question

I am interested to know what my Western Stoneware 25 gallon pickle crock is worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Please allow me to look over the photo.

If your crock is in excellent condition the value is $200-225.00 for the 25 gallon crock. Does it have handles? The photo does not show the sides.

History of Western Stoneware

In 1906, five Illinois potteries, one Missouri pottery and one Iowa pottery were purchased and became Western Stoneware. Western Stoneware then had 7 plants which were: MaComb Pottery Co. & MaComb Stoneware (began in 1880, plant 4 & 3), Monmouth Pottery Company (began in 1892, plant 1), Weir Pottery (1899, plant 2), White Hall Pottery (AKA AD Runkles & Sons; D. Culbertson Stoneware Co.of White Hall (1863, plant 5), Clinton Stoneware Co. of Clinton, Missouri (1898, plant 6 and Fort Dodge Stoneware of Fort Dodge, Iowa (1859, plant 7 :Known by various names).

Though the buildings of plants were sold or destroyed by fire, to date these potteries were never sold off and remain owned by Western Stoneware since their merger in 1906.. Plants 1, 2, and 3 are still around today. Plant 1 is now owned by a dog food company and Plant 3 is owned by the Royal Haeger Lamp Company which is still in production today.

All plants produced various lines and are the sole intellectual property of the company which still includes their names, items, and various logos.

The company has had several set backs, but has always had a standing order and never has stopped production for very long.

Fires occurred in 1907,1941, 1961, & 1994. Plants burned down in 1907, 1941 & 1994. A disgruntled salesperson threatened to burn down WS in 1964, but no fire occurred. Plant 2 in 1963 was hit by a tornado.