Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President, Association of Online Appraisers
57035021

I have a S.PB H. (PB inside star) doll from early 1900's. I

Customer Question

I have a S.PB H. (PB inside star) doll from early 1900's. I assume this is Schoenau Hoffmeister doll. The mold or model # is 1000 and she has blue eyes. She is in excellent condition with a detached hand. Can you tell me anything about this doll, including approximate value?
Thanks,
Stacie Walther
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 3 months ago.

HI Stacie,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

How tall is your doll?

Do her eyes open and close?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
18" tall and her eyes do not close
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 2 months ago.

My apologies for the delay, Stacie. Your reply came while I was on vacation.

Yes, your doll is by Schoenau and Hoffmeister. The mark indicates that it was made prior to 1930.

A doll with a detached hand cannot be considered to be in excellent condition for the purpose of valuation.

In this condition, the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of your doll is approximately $100. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $40, depending on location and actual condition.

I can recommend a good doll hospital: Taggerty Doll Clinic of Elmira, New York. www.taggertydollclinic.com

If they can successfully repair your doll, its retail value would then be approximately $300.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Stacie.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about this item. I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you.