rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a first edition Whither Mankind which looks to be in

Customer Question

I have a first edition Whither Mankind which looks to be in great shape. I looked online and found them not to be very valuable but tucked in the book pg. 67 is a small card. Printed on card slightly raised print is Samuel Cahan. Underneath the name is ***** ***** you enjoy reading this volume in good health. Signed Samuel Cahan. I am wonderinh if this is the well known artist of that time and could it be worth anything if it is. My husband's Grandfather and Great grandfather lived in NYC at that time.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Photos I think were not sent on original question
Expert:  rarewares replied 5 months ago.

Your first edition book Whither Mankind by Beard, 1928, published by Longmans, Green and Co has a value of $8 to $10

on its own. The card on the inside is not the signature of artist Samuel Cahan (1886-1974) as this signature is

not a match for his. He always signed his name in all capital letters. He grew up poor in Russia and never learned how to write in cursive.

This card would be that of another Samual Cahan, but not a famous one, so sorry.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.