rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I recently purchased a piece of salt glazed pottery .Inside

Customer Question

I recently purchased a piece of salt glazed pottery .Inside the pitcher was an old piece of paper stating it was circa 1750 from colonial willamsburg. The piece is in mint condition and I am trying to find out what it is worth .
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, I amCustomerand I will respond back as soon as I research your question.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is a salt glazed pitcher approximately 101/2" tall with blue cobalt stripes around the neck with 3what appear to be leaves on the belly of the pitcher . The piece of paper I found states it was made by ( I can only make out the name Maloney) but it says circa1750

This is a circa 1980's 3 gallon stoneware jar made by Maloney Pottery of Lightfoot, Virginia

(also called Williamsburg Pottery back then), a pottery that made Colonial Williamsburg reproduction pottery since 1938.

The value of this jar is $80 to $100 if there are no cracks or chips.

Please do feel free to send photos of jar and paper and I could do a further assessment. Understand that without being able to see the piece,

I must go with what is most likely for a piece by Maloney. A jar from 1750 would not be in mint condition and that was my first red flag for this being a reproduction piece, the name Maloney was the second.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.