rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a signed book by mark twain dated 1906 silk bindings

Customer Question

I have a signed book by mark twain dated 1906 silk bindings good condition pages ends are rough not smooth cut called mark twains works volume vII hallcreast edition illustrated American publishing company called "roughing it volume 1 of 2
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: just wondering if it actually worth anything
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: nice book , ?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, I am Rarewares and I will respond back as soon as I research your question.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't have a way to take a picture to send you all I can tell you is the bindings are a blue green silk pretty good condition book is very old but isn't torn or worn too much for as old as it is signed by mark twain picture in 3rd page is cool man riding a bucking bronco one page says entered accordingly to act of congress in the year 1871 by the American publishing company in the office of the library of congress at Washington copyright 1892 by the American publishing company copyright 1899 by Samuel Clemens ....... down at bottom says Plimpton press h m Plimpton and co printers and binders norwood mass usa if you have more questions please call me my name is cindy (###) ###-####this was in an old ladys attic well taken care of
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I see has more pictures in it pretty cool

These were known autographed editions that were part of a subscription service

where the customer would get to choose their preference of bindings and would receive

a new volume of the Autograph Edition that had drawings and special inserts on occasion.

These were offered to only the wealthiest book collectors of the time. The average price for the set of 22 volumes

was $200 at the time which would be about $7500 today based on infation.

This book that you have (without seeing it) has a current value of $3200 to $4500 (the range is for condition).

You can read more about some of the other editions that were offered here. http://www.twainquotes.com/UniformEds/UniformEdsCh4-a.html

TO sell, you might want to try consigning to an auction house. http://www.sothebys.com/en/departments/books-manuscripts.html

You can also go to liveauctioneers.com and invaluable.com to search their directory to find an auction house that deals in books.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item. Do note that I do not participate in the live phone call service. If I have completed the answer for you, then do click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit submit, thanks!