Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have just inherited a silver bowl with" WALKER&HALL

Customer Question

I have just inherited a silver bowl with " WALKER&HALL SHEFIELD ENGLAND it has flag and a symbol underneath with the letter "u"in it. It also says 51035 A1 next to it. It also has the number 30 below another symbol. Is this piece of any significance and are you able to tell me what year it was made.
Thanks
Cali Magafas
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 3 months ago.

Cali,

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send me a photo of the marks on the bottom and another of the bowl showing its shape.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

If this method does not work for you, then you can try the much slower email method. This method can take 24 hours to get to me,

This is the official explanation of how to send photos via email:

Please follow the directions exactly or they will not get to me.

Send the picture to ***@******.***

In the subject line put " Pictures for˜Doris in Antiques or Appraisals."
.
In the body of the message put, your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with

Just Answer, so they can verify who you are.

This method takes longer because the photos are sent to the Just Answer

techs who must forward them to me. It sometimes takes as long as 24 hours.
.
They will forward them to me and as soon as I get them I will contact you.

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Nora replied 3 months ago.

The A1 indicates that the metal content of your Walker and Hall bowl is plated and not sterling silver. The description of the mark you provided here dates the bowl to circa 1900. The numbers are the pattern mold shape name. Since this is plated and not sterling silver it does not carry a precious metal melt down value. Depending on the size of the bowl, a circa 1900 Walker & Hall silver plated bowl from Sheffield, England can sell for $5 - $40USD or 7-53AUD.

You can, however, ask any price you please on an item you own, the key factor is finding a buyer at your asking price.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora