Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

NAUTICAL ANTIQUE: I've owned a 36" antique ship's wheel

Customer Question

NAUTICAL ANTIQUE: I've owned a 36" antique ship's wheel since 1974. I purchased it from an antiques dealer who told me it was "circa 1832." It is marked (on brass center), "JOHN HASTIE & COMPANY LTD./GREENOCK".
Other than what the (late) dealer told me about it, I have no COA of any type. (I wanted it for decorative purposes for my home wet bar so wasn't really all that interested in it's actual age.)
How do I go about getting the ship's wheel appraised?
Thank you,
Parke E. Simmons Sr.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello Parke

I am not sure if you know but John Hastie & Co. Ltd. was located in Greenock, Scotland. They were founded in 1843.

I can value this for you if you can tell me., is the wheel Mahogany and the inside brass?