AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I have an 1876-77 copy of The Aldine -- an arts journal --

Customer Question

HI! I have an 1876-77 copy of The Aldine -- an arts journal -- what might it be worth?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I just know it's been in my family for all that time
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: the pages are all good -- the binding is a bit worn on top
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

The 19th century was the beginning of major book printing and publication. And because books became so valued in households, they were very often preserved. For this reason, books from the 19th century and later are rarely of very high value.

The Aldine was a popular journal because it contained engravings and prints of popular current art, a low-cost way for families to decorate their homes.

Because of the art it contains, this book is more valuable than the typical 19th century volume. The 1876-1877 edition, if fully present and hard bound, retails for approximately $400.00 from reputable antiquarian booksellers.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Sincerely,

Jennifer

How do I rate an answer?

You can give your rating by selecting one of the five faces located under each answer. Giving a positive rating compensates the Expert for their time with you. If the value of your question is more than the value of your deposit, then your deposit will be applied toward the balance due and the remainder will be debited from your previously specified payment method. Please remember that your Expert will not be paid until you leave a positive rating for the answer

Sincerely,

Jennifer

How do I rate an answer?