rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have an antique curio cabinet with lion claw feet and

Customer Question

I have an antique curio cabinet with lion claw feet and round glass filled with perfect condition hull pottery. I have over 73 pieces from small medium large and extra large. Mostly medium and large and 4 to 5 different patterns. I was trying to sell it all together to help my daughter pay for her college funds. When we were collecting these pieces over 25 yrs ago the market was very high and it was appraised for over 110,000.00. I know now that we would never get half of that but I was wondering if you think we could get 39,000.00. Also what would be our best way in selling it. I want to help my daughter fulfill her dream she is 23 with an anxiety disorder which does not allow her to work but she is an amazing artist and student and the college she is going to she loves and has honors. thank you for helping me, I just wanted to find out my best options!
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 9 months ago.

Your collection of Hull art pottery, 73 pieces, would have an average value of $40 to $200 each depending on the piece,

so the whole collection would bring about $10,000 to $14,000 in the current secondary market for this pottery.

The cabinet dates to 1905 to 1915 and has a current value of $300.00. These are sale prices which differ greatly from

any appraised value that you might have gotten years ago for insurance purposes. For example, if you were to add this same collection

to your home insurance policy today, you would insure the pottery for $40,000 insurance/replacement value (a general rule of 3x retail value for insurance)

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Varagesale.com, Ioffer.com, Ebay and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them, which might be the best alternative in this case since you do have such a large collection.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.