Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

Came upon this Chinese Charger and would like to know who

Customer Question

Came upon this Chinese Charger and would like to know who made it, when and where by the mark and Motif. Came home with soldier in 1950. Want to send photos.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
More photos to assist you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As you have been looking, I have also not abandon a search. While I was going through my items I found Familee Rose 8 1/2" diameter and 7 1/2" respectively. Do these match. I think from another place and time.
I have good reason to suspect the charger with a stamp similar to mine sold at an auction fetching a tidy $600 USD, another brought almost $1000 USD.
I would have included the plates but could not find them where I had thought. Please forgive me on that.. Would that be acceptible to you ?
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is***** you for coming to Just Answer.
I will be glad to help you today.

I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.

If the Gotheburg site did not have the mark on the back of your plate, then it is not going to be found on the internet, it is also not in any of the Asian Books of Marks that I have.

You do have a Familia Rose Charger it dates to the early part of the 20thC, around 1920.

Are you wanting to know the value for this. Even though the mark cannot be read. Which is common by the way, most of the older Asian marks cannot be read.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nice guess, but no cigar. This mark can be read. Because Gotheborg does not list it, is meaningless to me I have been doing this antique collecting for 52 years now and am totally dissatisfied with a vague and nebulous answer. Reading between the lines, you do not know, and such a shallow answer is unacceptable. I paid almost $40 USD to find information I already knew. If you cannot read it, then you cannot make these remarks, or date the piece with any conviction or authority. I looked that up in Gotheborg prior to my inquiry. Why do you think I spent money for more than I already knew ? This is a sick joke !
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 months ago.

Hi Chuck,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Chinese charger. This is an interesting mark written in a hybrid script that's part conventional kaishu and part a specialized seal script called zhuanshu. If you could very kindly attach a clear close up of it, I may be able to read it for you.

However, since it's a stamped mark rather than a hand written one, it means the charger is no older than early 20th century when the practice of using stamped marks became common. On older porcelain the mark is always hand painted with a paint brush.

There are a plethora of unattributed early 20th century decorator marks on Chinese export porcelain, so knowing who it is is usually of curiosity value only as almost none of them is a followed and collected 'name'.

Many thanks and wait to hear.

PS. As regards ***** ***** since you haven't accepted an answer yet you can avail of a full refund at any time, including your $5 good faith deposit (if you paid one). Just contact Customer Support, phone number 1.***-***-**** to have them issue you a full refund, if you wish.

Personally, I hope you will continue, as I would like to be able to provide you with the answer you were looking for.

Best wishes. R.