Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Personal Property Appraisals
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have an armoir very unique from upscale antique store in

Customer Question

I have an armoir very unique from upscale antique store in Charlestown SC . I purchased in 1989 after hurricane Hugo. It was 10,000 at that time and I got it for 5400. It was made in 1834 of walnut. I bought it for the cool lines and scrolling and mirrored doors. Of course it all comes apart. Can you help me fine a home for this beautiful piece? It is too big for my apartment. It is seven feet tall by 54 inches wide and twenty four deep. I can send photos
Let me know your thoughts thanks sincerely
Christine Croom
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 10 months ago.

Christine,

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send photos of the piece.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Please know I will not be able to find you a specific buyer but can suggest how you can sell it.

Do you know what you want to ask?

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok Doris I send photos
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok Doris I sent a couple

Do you know what you want price you want to set on it?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I just want s fair price

Unfortunately,

The current trend is toward smaller living quarters. Large pieces like yours no longer sell for higher prices.

The estimated retail price would be $8,500-10,500 at best.

I truly wish I had better news for you.

As for where to sell -

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Try your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

A method that could be very effective would be to place a classified in the "Maine Antique Digest" It has a large readership of collectors all across the country.

I highly recommend this method. They only charge $25 for 25 words in a classified ad. This publication is a monthly newspaper as well as on their internet website.

http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/advertising

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.