Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

Can you please tell me the artist of the painting and any

Customer Question

Can you please tell me the artist of the painting and any pertinent information you can find please? The painting is 4'5" x 3'5" and signed by the name JEAN. Please see attached pictures for more info. On the back it states CB-3019 SKU#420-905 and says MIDNIGHT STILL LIFE. Also I am interested in selling some other paintings I have, can you recommend places where I can sell these? For future inquiries should I submit one painting at a time or 3-5 paintings per inquiry? Thank You.Brian
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 2 months ago.

Good morning,

I am sorry to say but, no one has been able to read the signature of the artist. The artist would be classed as an " Unknown " artist. The painting can be valued as Unknown Artist if you like?

Yes, when you submit questions about paintings one per question is best. Keep in mind if you cannot read the signature then odds are we cannot either. There are thousands and thousands of unknown artist work because they do not sign their work where it can be read. Which is so odd since one of the first things they teach in college when you major in art is to always sign with your name legible in case you become famous! There are special guides that are used in finding current market values where the artist is not famous enough to be listed in any data base or their names cannot be read.