Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.

I have two sets of tea set, one is in silver and the other

Customer Question

I have two sets of tea set, one is in silver and the other ceramic. then I have 2 separate items in silver that I would like some more info on thank you
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 months ago.

Hi Jon,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your silver tea service. Thanks for the photo of it. Could you very kindly attach a photo of the marks on the bottom.

And a photo of any identifying marks on the presentation box.

Many thanks, Robert.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I didn't see any marks on the boxes but these are the marks on the bottom of the items

Thanks for all the photos.

Can you tell me which piece of the set is this mark under?

And which piece does this mark belong to?

I'll do the ceramic teaset in a separate, follow up question, if you don't mind, as we get paid by JustAnswer by the question (at no extra cost to you). We appraisers work "on" but not "for" the site as independent agents. Hope this makes sense.

Many thanks and wait to hear on the marks,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Each picture is labeled so those are loose item 1 two pictures and loose item 2 two pics. I'm not really interested on the single items, I'm more concerned about the tea sets expecially the silver set and again they are all labeled thank you

Okay, got it.

This very nice silver tea set is Japanese, decorated with a traditional lappet band of stylized lotus leaves, fully marked as sterling silver, and dates to around 1890 - 1912.

The two characters 純 銀 "jungin" side by side in the rectangular cartouche translates as "sterling silver".

This jungin assay mark was used only during the Meiji period 1868 - 1912.

The other two-character kanji mark is:

For Kobayashi

Little is known of this maker other than his name which is recorded on page 233 of Wakayama Homatsu (Takeshi) ed., Kinko Jiten (A dictionary of metalworkers), Tokyo, 1972,

I would give this set an auction or on-line value (eBay etc) in the range of $3500 - $5250.

It therefore has a full retail value (if you it for sale in an antique store) of at least $10,000. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,

PS. If you go ahead and open a new question for the ceramic set, I'll appraise that for you too. Please put "For Robert S. only...." in the subject line, (and/or select me from the list) and it will be sure to get to me.

Many thanks,