Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

While doing my quarterly polishing of my great-great

Customer Question

Hi There, While doing my quarterly polishing of my great-great Grandmothers service for six plus serving piece made by Wallace Sterling named "Sir Christopher" I came across to identical spoons that have nothing at all to do with the original Wallace set but have been kept in a soft wrap and their are only two. My mother remembers very little only that they may have had something to do with the two of eight children she had that passed shortly after birth. I have searched through extensive genology records and have found no connection so I thought I would just inquire about the two small spoons. Both have "M Alvin Sterling on the back where the spoon and handle meet. Nothing else. However, when turned over they have an identical caligraphy looking what I think may or may not be a letter. Both spoons have the same engraving. To me they look like a very elaborate capital "E". This size of the engraving is maybe a 1/2 inch. The top of the engraving as what looks like tiny slash marks then the slash marks connect the left side witha solid line between. Within that area on both spoons is two distinct short left to right lines and then the design even becomes more detailed. Can you send me in a direction to look into this. For these two identical spoons, obviously cared for to be intertwined within such a complete and exquisite set of sterling.
Regards,
Denise *. *******
*************@***.***
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Alvin Sterling is a well-known maker. If you are able to upload a photo, I'd likely be able to come up with a pattern and date for you. They have been in business since 1886 and are a subsidiary of Gorham.

Jennifer