Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have received my great great grandmothers bedroom set.

Customer Question

Hello, I have received my great great grandmothers bedroom set. when I seen it from photos it looked to be just another set from the 20s. when I went and picked it up it looked to be hand made with inperfections in the detail and some of the cuts. All visible cuts that I can see are vertical saw marks. It also has shellack finish which I tested in back of the one leg. There is the number marked in the back of all pieces with black block numbers which is 530. the screws are machined threads but the slot on the heads look like they were done with hacksaw. They are off center and some deeper than the others. Could you give me your opinion? Also the legs are different from any other piece I have seen.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable.
Customer: Hello
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: was wanting to know the age of the set
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: I typed everything
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here are some photos.
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please tell me the pieces in your bedroom set.

Please also, send a photo of the bed head board.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is a tall dresser a long dresser with mirror a vanity with mirror. Did you get my other photos?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here is the bed and vanity

Thank you for the information and additional photos.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I should return of 20 minutes.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks

Your set is made in mixed styles. Such pieces date ca 1880 - 1900. The style of the brass knobs help to date the set. The high headboard also dates from this period.

My research and knowledge indicate the retail value of the set would be $2700-3000 assuming some minor surface issues and depending on sale geographic location.

The value would be slightly higher if the set were well-polished several times with a paste wax.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

A method that could be very effective would be to place a classified in the "Maine Antique Digest" It has a large readership of collectors all across the country.

I highly recommend this method. They only charge $25 for 25 words in a classified ad. This publication is a monthly newspaper as well as on their internet website.

http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/advertising

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do the dove tails look machine done to you? Also the feet for instance look to be hand carved one way different than the other. Also the add ons you can tell they were cut by hand each piece is off just the slightest but I can see. Could it be older? The number on back of the pieces marked 530 could that be a patent number?

The pieces were made by hand but the mixed styles and knobs indicate 1880-1900, not earlier. The maker was not a large mass producer but probably one far away from a large city.

The numbers on the back are not patent marks. They are the furniture makers ID numbers.

I wish I could give you an earlier date but it would not be accurate.

I am only credited for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You have been very helpful. Just one last question about it. What are the styles you see? Victorian and Chippendale?

It appears to be mostly Victorian French provincial.

Please do not forget my need for A POSITIVE RATING.It is the ONLY WAY I AM credited BY JA for my work.
Kind regards,

Doris

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris