AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I believe I have a temple rubbing piece of art from Thailand

Customer Question

I believe I have a temple rubbing piece of art from Thailand or Cambodia, would like to know if it is a temple rubbing.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
value if it is a temple rubbing.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have more pictures as well.
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Can you post a close-up of the surface, so I can see the detail?

Jennifer

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is a link to my dropbox folder should have a few close ups https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gw4grggm30hvskn/AABuRQDwY8CtKl3v6W5hh8cea?dl=0

Thanks. I have a long meeting today but will address this in the early afternoon.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you ☺

I am still trying to get a feel for it, it's difficult in the photos through the glass. Is this on paper, with the gold parts raised slightly? Or is there a distinct edge to the gold parts, like they were cut out from a separate piece and attached to the black background?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's sheets of paper my son thinks its rice paper with the black laquer and the print is raised definitely not cut out and attached. I will try to take some better pictures and I will upload to the drop box folder I shared with you.

Thanks. This does appear to be a temple rubbing, with gold pigment rubbed over black paper. It's from Wat Po in Bangkok, Thailand.

It's quite well done, and well framed, but that being said, these are never particularly valuable items. The resale would be perhaps $100.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this item.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

I see you have not yet accepted or rated my answer. Do you have further questions on these items?

Sincerely,

Jennifer

How do I rate an answer?

You can give your rating by selecting one of the five faces located under each answer. Giving a positive rating compensates the Expert for their time with you. If the value of your question is more than the value of your deposit, then your deposit will be applied toward the balance due and the remainder will be debited from your previously specified payment method. Please remember that your Expert will not be paid until you leave a positive rating for the answer