Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have an oil painting by Stilson titled, "Girl with a

Customer Question

I have an oil painting by William Stilson titled, "Girl with a Guitar". It is 24 inches wide by 36 inches high. It was purchased in 1965. ANy idea of its value?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I have an oil painting by William Stilson titled (Girl with a Guiar:. It si 24 inches wide by 36 inches high. I was purchased in 1965, Any idea of its value?.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: That's all I know.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Thank you for the information.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I should return within 20 minutes.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

William Stilson

"The mystery to the whereabouts of renowned Rockport, Mass. artist William H. Stilson has been solved.

The Montgomery County Coroner's Office last year identified Stilson as the skeletal remains found by a construction worker along the Pennsylvania Turnpike on the morning of Jan. 11, 2013 in a wooded area in Kulpsville, near the Lansdale interchange of the Pennsylvania Turnpike's northeast extension.

Montgomery County Coroner's Office Chief Medical Investigator Alexander Balacki said Stilson's remains were there for "several years."

The cause of death was a gunshot wound to the head. A handgun was found next to the body. Stilson was dressed in Guess jeans and a Ralph Lauren shirt, police said. Stilson had extensive dental work and a condition that required chest surgery.

Balacki said identification was made through a combination of car keys found on the body, dental records and searching the Internet.

"We contacted (a family member) through a blog. That's how we got the ball rolling," Balacki said.

Stilson's family donated his bones to the coroner's office, he said.

Stilson ran a gallery in Rockport, Mass. Specializing in seascape and figure paintings, his work dates back to the 1960s and 1970s.

On an online bulletin board from 2007 dedicated to Stilson, friends and family recount memories and experiences with the painter.

"I met him (in Rockport) in 1984 and found him to be a very fascinating man! If I recall correctly, Rockport was his summer home and at the time he was spending winters in Williamsburg, Va.," wrote J.C. Pelletier.

"My wife and I bought a signed print in the late '60s or early '70s. When I told my father about the purchase, he laughed because he had delivered Bill as a baby. Bill had broken contact with his family who didn't know he was in Rockport according to my dad. We still love our Stilson after all these years," wrote Barry Wessler.

In the late 1990s, Stilson was suffering from depression and living in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., according to a post from his ex-wife Brooke Taney. She confirmed Stilson had a heart problem and surgery.

"I knew Bill while I lived in the Boston area in the mid '70s," wrote ***** *****ner. "He came to the airport for instruction and was a student of mine. We became friends and I purchased an oil and a copy of Reflections, which is still hanging in our bath. I have searched for him in the past to no avail. I do know he crashed the Bellanca tri tail he owned but survived the crash as it wasn't a serious indecent as I recall. I was in my 20s back then and am now 60 so he would be getting on if he is still alive. Bill was a very interesting fellow. I do know that some of the large art foundations, private collectors in the Boston area, had been purchasing quite a bit of his work for several years."

This story was a follow-up to the original story published by various local media outlets last year."
Source:
Tony DiDomizio: "The Alternative Press of North Penn", Website of NBC10.com (Accessed 5/2015)

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this widely accepted standard method of assessment, I was able to determine an estimated auction value of $230-300 for your William Stilson oil painting assuming good condition and depending on sale geographical location.

As for retail value, I have seen art sell for 4 to 5 times auction values depending on the tastes of the art gallery owner as well as location of the gallery.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris