rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I have two Jean Folon watercolors; appx. 10" X 8". They are

Customer Question

I have two Jean Michael Folon watercolors; appx. 10" X 8". They are signed in pencil at the bottom right. One is of "the man", in a hat and overcoat. Lots of colorful arrows about. The other is a man with his hands extended over his head to make the shadow on roman numerals (clock numbers). The paper appears to be watercolor, it is translucent and you can see pencil markings. I believe these to be real Folon, but not sure if they are prints, or copies or what. The edges are absolutely smooth with no runs. I have search Folon art work and of the many, many hundreds of paintings and posters, I have not seen these two particular pieces. I have asked some art experts and they don't even know Folon. Any idea what watercolor paper art with smooth edges would be i.e. print copy etc.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 2 months ago.

Jean-Michel Folon (1934-2005) was an artist that worked in New York, Belgium, France and Monaco.

He was an illustrator, sculptor, painter and set designer. From the photos you added, these look to

be original watercolors. I am also a watercolor artist and the clean edge is created by using an artist's white tape

on those edges while you paint. When the painting is finished, you can remove the tape without tearing the paper and you will have a nice, crisp edge. Your photos were cropped really close, so I am unable to see if he signed OUTSIDE the image in addition to the signature inside the image. If he did, then it is a print (a print would have numbers like 123/350 in pencil on the lower left outside the image as well) on high quality paper and each piece would have a value of $300 to $400.

If the only signature is within the artwork image, these are original watercolors and not prints and each painting has a current value of $2300 to $2600 retail.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.