LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher

I inherited a wooden box that has a sticker inside which

Customer Question

I inherited a wooden box that has a sticker inside which says Thomas Chapman
To the Queen
It needs some repair. Can you tell me if it's an antique and where I might get it repaired?
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It might be a writing desk inside
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't think you are getting my questions
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Please do send photos of the box overall, the inside a clear close up of the markings and stickers and I will post my findings back here. You may email photos to***@******.*** and in the subject line please put "forCustomerquot; they will send them on to me and I will let you know as soon as I receive them. Emailing photos can take up to a day or two to get to me but I will watch for them. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Tanya, Thank you for your help. I am sending some pictures of the box. I look forward to hearing from.

Hi Rebecca I just got in thank you so much for the photos I will post back here promptly.

This has been an interesting box. I have found very little information online however in a book called Oddities and beyond I did find this is a keepsake box made fo redwood , rosewood or cedar with metal. They were produced 1940-1950s and most came with keys to lock the boxes up. The compartments ranged from 5-9 inside and the crack you have on yours can be filled in and repaired easily by a cabinet shop, frame shop or specialist of this nature. The crack is filled and clamped to secure and dry strong. wiped and sanded then stained slightly to bring it to the original look and feel of not having been cracked,. The crack happened more then likely from being dried out. Climate changing in the wood is one of the biggest problems in having pieces crack or chip badly. The value on your box as is with the crack- 45.00, repaired and complete 85.00 in todays market. Nice box to keep heirlooms and keepsakes in.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you :

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What I need to know is how to find someone who can put the box back together. Thank you.

not a problem can you tell me the city you live in and I will look for the nearest restorer for you in the area.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. I live in Amarillo, TX
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When you are able to tell me where to take my box for repair, I will rate you. The money has already been taken out of my account. You really didn't tell me much of anything about the box and the book you mentioned is nowhere to be found.

Hello I have no control on the fees being taken I am an appraiser that helps clients here. I did find very little on the box in the book Oddities & Beyond published in 1962 . I have been going through restorers in yours area and have not been able to find a reputable place to handle the work you need. I will opt out and open your question to the experts if they may help you. You will not need to do anything it will show as an open question to experts here and they can help you if they know of any place close to you. It will not cost you any more then you have paid. Thank you