Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

Trying to identify a hallmark on a silver on copper serving

Customer Question

Trying to identify a hallmark on a silver on copper serving tray. The hallmark is a J with a sharp lower loop, followed by what appears to be a backwards J with a rounded lower loop followed by an S with sharp loops. Beneath these initials are the words "SILVER ON COPPER"
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

To give you an accurate answer, I need a clear, close-up of the marks.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Doris,Thank you for your reply. Attached is a image of the whole serving set I am trying to identify. The tray, without the handles is about 14 by 18 inches. The second image is the hallmark.Thank you for your help.Kevin Freely

I am not ignoring your question. I am having great difficulty locating the mark JLS anywhere.

I will continue looking. Since the L is larger in the middle, the name of the firm is actually JSL.

So far, I have not found it in any of my reference books or reference sites. When I have found pieces with the same mark, the owner/seller does not know the maker either.

I will try to get back to you this evening.

Kind regards,

The silver maker's name is ***** ***** it is not to be found.

Unfortunately, I cannot find an accurate answer for your question. I will release your question so that all the other professionals can choose to answer you with accuracy.
I want you to have the best answer possible. Releasing your question is called "opting-out." I will not be able to respond to you once I opt-out.
I am very sorry.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am sorry you had to opt out. I am unable to give much more info. I got the item from my mother, who is 97, and she has no recollection of where it came from. I did find a similar item on EBay that was produced by a company called Academy. The hallmark is no where near the one on my item.Thank you for trying. I understand you can no longer respond but hopefully, you can forward this info to your other experts.Thanks again for all of your help.