Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

I have a vintage set of Meito China. I'm trying to find out

Customer Question

I have a vintage set of Meito China. I'm trying to find out the style and year it was produced. I had the set appraised years ago, but can't find the paperwork.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send a clear, close-up of the Meito marks.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

"Sets" come in many different sizes.

Please tell me the following -

How many people does your set serve?

How many pieces does each person have?

What serving pieces are there? These can add as much as 30% to the value of a set.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.

Unfortunately, I cannot find an accurate answer for your question. I will release your question so that all the other professionals can choose to answer you with accuracy.
I want you to have the best answer possible. Releasing your question is called "opting-out." I will not be able to respond to you once I opt-out.
I am very sorry.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How many people does set serve? - The set is not complete. I would say 6 people would have 4 pieces, plus extras. I have provided additional photos.
9 dinner plates
1 gravy dish
3 serving dishes, two with lids
6 small bowls
6 tea cup plates
10 small plates
1 tea cup
1 cream dispenser
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is***** you for coming to Just Answer.

I will be glad to help you today.

I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.

Does your set of china have any numbers on the back of it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No numbers on the back

This means your set was not given a Pattern name nor a number. Which is common, a lot of companies made china for other companies, they would put their name as maker on them, then the companies that were selling them would put their information on them. A lot of companies simply did not give all their sets names or pattern numbers, I think over time they just stopped. We see this a lot with china. This does not mean it cannot be valued just no name exists for the set. If you like I can value the pieces for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please value. Are you able to view the attachments I sent Doris? Per above?

Yes, I can see them.

The China has an estimated value on the current market for an average of

9 dinner plates -$25.00-27.50 each plate
1 gravy dish-$75.00-80.00
3 serving dishes, two with lids -$45.00-65.00 each
6 small bowls-$16.50-17.00 each,
6 tea cup plates-$12.00-14.00 each
10 small plates-$14.00-15.00 each
1 tea cup-$7.50-10.00 each
1 cream dispenser -$30.00-35.00

Prices are depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.

If you do not mind rating this I would greatly appreciate it, clicking the top star on the top left of the page does this, thank you for taking time to rate this.If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
Let me know if you still need help with this question.
I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this.
I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
Thank you so much!