Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Have a dresser with mirror, headboard/footboard, another

Customer Question

have a dresser with mirror, headboard/footboard, another dresser and 2 side tables inherited from a great aunt. How do I determine its worth if any ? did a quick glance and only marking on a piece was 330 . What do I do ?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send me photos of the pieces.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here are the pictures- hopefully they attached properly and you are able to view. Tall dresser missing knob- not sure if it was inside
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 3 months ago.

Is there a drawer missing from the vanity?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No drawer missing we were moving it and started taking the drawers out

Thank you.

I will return within 20 minutes.

Kind regards,

Doris

Here are the retail values in USA dollars for your vintage, first 1/2 20thC, bedroom set:

Dresser with mirror - 450-600

Head/foot boards - 350-450

Dresser - 325-400

Set of two sides tables - 190-250 for the set

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I live in California but back home here in Connecticut clearing out house of inlaws. If I went to a shop and asked how much would they offer me ? Is that what people do and what would be fair for me to accept ? Not wanting to make "money" but don't want to give it away either as I could use the money

In my closing, I give some choices of ways to sell close to the retail prices I quoted if you had time.

Please note that a dealer will only give you 30%-60% of those retail numbers.

Sales at a consignment shop would only yield the same - 30%-60%.

I hope this helps.

I am only credited for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Kind regards,

Doris

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris