Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a dresser that belonged to my friend's grandmother

Customer Question

I have a dresser that belonged to my friend's grandmother (her mom is innher mid-80's, so her mother would be older. I would like to seel but don't want to unerprice. So e if the hardware is missing. A furniture restorer guessed $50-$100, and with hardware the $200 I originally paid. What is your fee to appraise?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 10 months ago.

This is a 1940 Chippendale style dresser, American made (exact maker unknown),

The furniture restorer has the right range for prince on this piece. You could ask $75 to $100

as it is now. If you had all of the hardware, you could ask $200 to $300 for the dresser.

Do look inside one of the top drawers as these were sometimes marked there with a stamp or label.

This would not change the value, but it would be good to know before you sell if that information is there.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Varagesale.com, Chairish.com, Ioffer.com, Furnishly.com, Deconet.com, Lushpad, Krrb.com, and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.