Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I have an original oil painting by Whitney Ford Hoyt. I have

Customer Question

I have an original oil painting by Whitney Ford Hoyt. I have had it since he completed
the work in the middle 60's. It is a still life on a table located in his studio in Blauvelt,
New York. It is a large piece apox. 3'X4' in its original framing. I love the work and am interested in its value.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the painting,
signature and any labels on the back of the framing.
Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I have no way to send more at this time. If you are truly an expert

you should know Whitney Hoyt. His name is ***** ***** the net when

you google him. He has pictures of his other works with his name.

There were not any photos that came with your original inquiry.

I do know of Hoyt, but it would be irresponsible to assess a painting that I cannot see.

I will opt-out and allow another expert to step in and answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I am certain other examples of his work have been seen by your firm

or you know of his work at auction. I understand that a picture would help

but the art form is in my home and I will be away from that location for

some time. I am just interested in how his work have been received. Some of his work has focused on railroading which is well known in your

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send the size not including the frame. Please do not remove from the frame.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Dear Doris,

As I have stated in previous emails it is a large work. My recall is that it

would measure apox. 3'x4' out of the frame. I know a picture of it would

help but I will be away from my home where the painting is located for some time. I am looking only for a rough estimate based on info( if it

is available) based on other works of this artist.

Thank you,

Thank you.

There is almost next to no biographical information available on Hoyt in any of my reference books and several subscription art sites I use.

You already know that he worked in New York and dates either 1910-1976 or 1980. As you also know, he is best known for his railroading scenes.

If you wish to know more about his career/life, see the following -

Books On William Ford Hoyt:

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this widely accepted standard method of assessment, I was able to determine an estimated auction value of $850-950 for your still life oil painting by Hoyt assuming good condition and depending on sale location.

His railroading scenes generally sell at auction for $216-275.

As for retail value, I have seen art sell for 4 to 5 times auction values depending on the tastes of the art gallery owner as well as location of the gallery.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

Some like where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.