AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I have an old love seat that is over 120 years old. I have

Customer Question

I have an old love seat that is over 120 years old. I have searched images of love seats and have never found one like this one. I was told that this piece was valued at $1,400 in the 1970s. Where can I go to get some good information?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: How do I get someone to look at it? I live in Grand Junction, Colorado
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I really didn't understand how your site worked when I got on about my love seat. I did ask where I could get some good information and the answer was that you love to have an appraiser look at my stuff. I asked then how do I get someone to look at it? I did not get an answer, cut now I see that you would like me to add pictures and any marks, labels or writing. I am attaching a picture, but there are no marks or writings. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

You have a lovely Eastlake parlor settee, American and probably from Pennsylvania, from the Victorian era, circa 1870-1890.

Here is an interesting little article about Eastlake furniture:

http://antiques.about.com/od/furniture/ss/aa062706.htm

Unfortunately the market for these is not high at the moment. I['m not sure if your 1970s appraisal was incorrect, or if the market was simply much higher then, but at retail this would sell in the range of $800 - $1,000.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Sincerely,

Jennifer