Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have a chandelier that I am interested in selling and

Customer Question

I have a chandelier that I am interested in selling and would like your input
have photos to send you if interested
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
here are some more pics
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello

Are you wanting to know how much this would sell for on the current market?

Glenda

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
please call me 1(###) ###-####i can't afford an other $34 on top of the $38 spent ( im retired living on Social Security and every penny counts today ).to find out your information on this chandelier hopefully you can tell who made it? what year it was made ? country of origin? and value?
my name is kevin
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i am wanting to know what this chandelier would sell for on the current market since 9:51 AM yesterday when you said you had the "ANSWER" now 24 hours later all Glenda B. has provided is a Sales Pitch for $34.
wow some great service from this website and I am starting to feel like I have been scammed and need to report this site to the endorsers listed in your ad.
very unsatisfied customer here

Hello

I did not offer a sales pitch for anything. The appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we do not offer anything to the customer. We come to the site to answer questions that customers post there. We do not work for them, we do no make offers to customers, we do not see the customers accounts, we only have contact with a customer in this message box, we do not email the customer ever!

.

Appraisers are only users of the site just like the customer, except we answer questions. After we answer a question for the customer we are then rated by the customer, then if the rating is one of the top two stars we are compensated by the site for answering.

You posted your question at 6:47 am on Friday, that was early. I picked it up at 8:51 am asking you if you were wanting the current market value for this, so you could sell it. You did not come back to me until 5:59 pm, which was about 9 hrs later.

It appears at that time you responded to an automated offer you received from the just answer site about something, ( I cannot see that offer ) . At 6 pm I was off work, I do not work 24/7 on the site.

It looks like you came back this morning at 1:28 am and I was not at work at that time of the morning.

I did not say at 9:51 am yesterday I had the answer> I asked you for more information. Which you responded to 9 hrs later. If you got a message that said something about the expert having the answer then that is incorrect information from the site, not the expert. We do not email the customer ever. When you ask a question the expert will always come back wanting to know what information you are needing, if you did not specify that in the original question. Which all you put was : I have a chandelier that I am interested in selling and would like your input have photos to send you if interested

I needed to gather what you were wanting to do. I am sorry the site sent you a message saying the Expert has your Answer! When you came back you saw I did not have the answer I was trying to find what you needed.

.

I can help you with this but, I will tell you if this is not marked there is no way to know who made it, where it was made. I can tell you about the age of it from the pictures and I can value this for you, what it will sell for on the current market. I need to know how many arms this has?

.

After you asked the original question, did the email you received from the site, actually state, that " The expert has your answer"

Glenda

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you for clarification and my apologies but with so many Internet scams and a billing process of $ 5 then 33 then 34 with no answers or true content it was concerning.
looking back the Site uses the word Answer twice in their message concerning that there Expert replied so it was MY mistake for assuming you had an Answer to my Question.
plus the Site has a link to all the Experts and you did not appear in that listing.
so now that we are both up to date how would you like to proceed?
I for one would like to proceed 1/1 and compensate you directly now and let the site enjoy the funds paid to this point. However i am agreeable to what ever recommendations you provide that offer me the best results

Hello
I would love to do the 1/1 thing but, sadly I cannot do that. I would be eliminated from using the site ever again.

I am not sure why they use the word " Answer" it seems that is part of the confusion when they respond to the customer. I believe they used to say, when we responded needing information " The expert has responded to you " then when we gave the actual answer it stated " The Expert has answered you " .

But, all I need in order to value this for you, is to find out how many arms this has and do you know who many prisms it has on it? It appears several are quite large and some seem like clusters of grapes. Is that correct? From looking at this I believe it was produced in Italy, and that it dates to the 1920-30's. or a little earlier.

Glenda

Hello

Can you tell me where the site has a listing of all the experts? I am wondering why I would not be listed there?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i had taken the fixture into a specialist for repairs to the brass arms which he showed me are of 3 types Roses brass yellow and gold brass ..plus he completely rewired the light at a total cost of $2500.
when I went in to pickup he presented me with a photo of the chandelier from the manufacturers and told me it had a value in the mid $30,000 range and it was French design.
there are 3 double light arms 3 single light arms and a 3 light cluster in the base center
the shape of the brass design is a pear.
there are over 50 crystals ornaments sized from 12" down to 4" and 6 rope crystal which hang between the 3 double light arms.
so taken back by what the repair man had told me and no interest in selling the piece 10 years ago
i never asked for copies of his research so here we are today
one last note i viewed the replacement value of some of the crystals on line and the average cost was $25.each if they even where available today

Hello

Yes, that is actually a little cheap for the crystals, they actually value out at an average of 35.00 to 45.00 each.

.

Do you remember who he said made this? I thought it could be French or Italian, they are both known for this style Chandelier. Sadly, values have fallen off on this style lighting in the past few years. More people are getting away from chandeliers and are into a more modern look. They do still sell to those who own larger homes or are renovating period homes.

Glenda

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no i dont remember much of anything other than see the pictures and hearing the $30000 for a chandelier I had brought at a yard sale
i did call the shop a couple weeks ago and the gentleman had passed away he was a great craftsman and the new owner could not help me with anything from 10 years-ago
I do understand the market decline of chandeliers for the housing market however my market is the Art market
and as you do your research on line under antique crystal chandeliers from 20000 to 150000 you will be pleased to see how many pieces you will find similar to use for comparison
What is important to that market and the value is the complete history.on your question concerning the Site link of Expert listing, where the Customer can Pick there own Expert is located at the very bottom of the site page where you would find contact information
the link is called "meet the Professional "

Hello

Interesting. I had not idea the site has that. I do not see what a customer can see.

.

As the art market that is much different then a decorator market. I agree with that. We use paid for data bases, and paid for information when making our appraisals, we can see places that most cannot see. We use all the large auction houses, where items like this do their best. We have access to sold auction values.

While I cannot give you history other then what you have already> I can value this for you.

I am going to check my resources, I will be right back.

Glenda

Hello

After researching past sales of Chandeliers, in the Decorator Market, Large Auction houses, data bases compiled from higher end Antique Shops and Galleries. I found that the French Chandelier, with an abundance of Prisms, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $38,000.00-49,500.00, ( with the potential to sell higher depending on who might bid on this ) depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.

Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this I would greatly appreciate it, clicking the top star on the top left of the page does this, thank you for taking time to rate this.If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question.
.
I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this.
.
I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda