Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a wood/plaster statue that I believe is from the

Customer Question

Hello. I have a wood/plaster statue that I believe is from the French colonial time in Mexico between 1864 and 1867. It is a soldier on horseback and is mounted to a base. I am trying to locate someone who can give me an appraisal for the object. I have a jpeg file of the item. I grew up in Texas and my mom had an interior design store. I would appreciate any assistance. If you feel that you could give me an appraisal on the item after viewing it online, what would you consider a fair appraisal fee? Thank you. Pope . My e-mail is***@******.***.
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Antiques Appraiser. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Yes, the reason my mom thought the statue is from the French colonial period is because she and my father took a house rental in Cuernavaca, Mexico in 1976. That house was actually the residence of Emperor Maximilian and Carlota when they would visit Cuernavaca. I suspect that they bought the statue from an art dealer in that town during their visit in 1976. How can I pay the $5 deposit, by credit card? Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is Glenda
.

It is very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value!
.
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,
.

If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !
.
Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
.
Or you may use this method:
.
Go to www.imgur.com
.
click on Computer
.
Select the picture file from the box that pops up.
.
Hit open.
.
Click on Start Upload
.
And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.
.
Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
.
Glenda

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Glenda,
Sorry for the delay in answering your request for the image. I have attached a jpeg file to the e-mail. Please let me know if you have other questions.
Thank you
Pope Vickers

It is a Soldier, missing his Lance, it appears, or it could be a flag he was holding. Do you think the statue was made in the 1800's or that it depicts the soldiers from that time? It could have been produced in the 20thC as a depiction of a French Soldier.

Glenda

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Glenda,
He was probably holding a lance or a flag. When my mom purchased the statue for her interior design studio, she purchased the statue in Cuernavaca, Mexico in 1976. This statue seems to depicts a soldier in a uniform that is typical of the period in Mexican history circa 1860 to 1864 when the French had taken control of Mexico and installed a member of the Bonaparte family, Maximilian, as emperor of Mexico. I have attached a jpeg of what the solider's uniform looked like during that time period. Please note that the uniform colors are blue pants and a red vest, the colors typically worn by the French. The colors of Mexican calvary officers was typically red and green, the colors in the Mexican flag. I have attached an image drawn from the Mexican Amercan war to show these colors. When my mother purchased the statue in 1976 in Cuernavaca, Mexico, as I noted before, the town of Cuernavaca was one of residences of Maximilian and Carlota. I doubt that my mom would have been fooled by some cheap plastic reproduction since my mom was widely traveled and was a Mensa. If you look closely at the statue, you can see that the patina is clearly genuinely old, meaning not 1950 or 1960, but 1860's. A 20th century depiction....please...consider the source...Your statement about the 20th century is downright laughable. Thank you.

Hello

The 20th C started in the 1900. Are you mistaken thinking I meant 21st C, . I did not mean she purchased as being made in the 50-60's. Even though it is possible it could have been. There are thousands and thousands of fake antiques out there, we see these on a daily basis. In private practice and on here. I have been in this business for over 45 years, and have been appraising that long. So yes it is very possible this was produced later then the early 1900's and just made to look old. It happens every day.

But, I can tell from the manner in which you speak to me that you will not believe anything I tell you. By the way, I to am educated. I am opting out of this, maybe someone else will try to help you.

Glenda

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Fine. Suit yourself.