AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

Prudent Mallard Half-Tester Bed……i have one looking to sell

Customer Question

Prudent Mallard Half-Tester Bed……i have one looking to sell king size i have seen them range from $11,000 to $45,000 how can i know where to find the Hallmark or if it an original?
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

What is interesting is that even beds with a Prudent Miller label may not be by Prudent Miller--it's quite odd, the story of those beds and other furniture.

http://www.internetantiquegazette.com/clocks_watches/2830_mallard_prudent_new_orleans_furniture/

The best place to start would be to upload a few photos for me to look at. Also, examine the bed carefully all over, especially the side rails (and inside if you can) for marks, labels, names, or numbers.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no seeing any hallmarks on the bed

Thank you.

Unfortunately, based on the construction and styling, this appears to be a contemporary reproduction, quite similar (but not identical) to this one:

http://www.lockstockandbarrel-uk.com/product-detail.php/Mahogany-Half-Tester-Bed-B024-275/

These are typically produced in Asia, often Indonesia, then sold in the US and European markets. Sometimes they are sold as reproductions, sometimes they are passed off as antiques.

Sorry for any disappointment.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 3 months ago.

I see you have not yet accepted or rated my answer. Do you have further questions on these items?

Sincerely,

Jennifer

How do I rate an answer?

You can give your rating by selecting one of the five faces located under each answer. Giving a positive rating compensates the Expert for their time with you. If the value of your question is more than the value of your deposit, then your deposit will be applied toward the balance due and the remainder will be debited from your previously specified payment method. Please remember that your Expert will not be paid until you leave a positive rating for the answer.