Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

I have a vintage porcelain bowl trimmed in goldleaf with an

Customer Question

I have a vintage porcelain bowl trimmed in goldleaf with an autumnal grapevine design on the inside and bits of leaves extending to the outside of each side of the bowl. The bottom of the bowl is round but the top flares out into a square. The corners of the square are blunted. The marks on the bottom of bowl say H&C/L signed JoF. Dec. 1901. Worth? Do markings mean Havilland & Co. Limoges?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 months ago.

Hi Catherine,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your bowl.

Yes, you're right, the H&C/L is one of the many Haviland, Limoges markes and dates the piece to the late 1800s, or early 1900s.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of the bowl and one of the entire bottom so I can see the mark and signature.

So much of the value of a piece like this is the artistic merit of the decoration.

Also, how big is it?

Many thanks,

PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.

You need to be logged in to the JustAnswer site to do this. You can’t do it from email.

If you get stuck go here for help.

Alternatively, if you can collar a passing teenager with an iPhone they would have photos posted here in about two minutes. Thanks R.