Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I bought a desk for its beauty and style wanting to use it

Customer Question

I bought a desk for its beauty and style wanting to use it as a vanity. When foing through the drawls i found the bwrkey n gay gold emblem with the c and o in the middle. Its used but i wpuld like to know the current value.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Berkey & Gay Furniture Co.

1866 – 1931; 1935 - 1948

Grand Rapids, Michigan

Successor to Berkey Brothers & Co.

SEE ALSO Berkey Brothers & Co.; Berkey & Hamm; Berkey & Matter; (Listed below); Oriel Cabinet Co.

1866: George W. Gay becomes partner in Berkey Brothers & Co.; name is ***** ***** Berkey Brothers & Gay.

1872: William Berkey withdraws from leadership of company.

1873: Company is incorporated as Berkey & Gay.

1874: New six-story factory, with wholesale and retail showrooms, becomes one of Grand Rapids’ most prominent structures.

1875: Salesroom opens in New York City.

1876: Berkey & Gay is one of three Grand Rapids companies to win an award for its display at the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition.

1885: Firm advertises nationally, and ships over a half million dollars in goods through out the U.S. and Europe.

1900: Retail operations discontinued.

1911: Berkey & Gay acquires Oriel Cabinet Co.

1923: Wallace Upholstering Co. and Grand Rapids Upholstering Co. are merged with Berkey & Gay as the Consolidated Furniture Companies.

1929: Simmons Co. of Chicago acquires Berkey & Gay’s $10 million in assets, including 5 Grand Rapids plants with 1.5 million square feet of space, and $8 million in annual sales.

1931: Sales decline sharply; Berkey & Gay forced to declare bankruptcy.

1934: Stockholders win $2,000,000 judgment in suit against Simmons, then the largest civil award in history.

1935: Berkey & Gay re-opens under new management.

1948: Company declares bankruptcy; name is ***** ***** Harvest Furniture Co. of Louisville, Kentucky and production ceases.

"1915 – 1931: The era between World War I and the Great Depression was Berkey & Gay’s zenith of production. Upholstering was spun off to subsidiaries like Wallace Upholstery and Grand Rapids Upholstery, so Berkey & Gay concentrated on living room and bedroom suites. Although designs ran the gamut of freely translated European and American revival styles, most tended toward larger, heavier periods like Elizabet*****, ***** and Mary, and American Empire.

Pieces were well constructed. A variety of woods was used, mostly dark mahoganies and walnuts, with occasional accents of lighter woods, painted decoration, or exotic materials like turquoise. These were further darkened by the application of stains wiped around edges and carvings, to give the appearance of age.

One interesting novelty was the "Old Ironsides Table,” of which only about 100 were produced. Its scalloped apron and block-turned legs and stretchers were adapted from an illustration in a Wallace Nutting book on American antiques. An eagle medallion on the single drawer front was carved in wood taken from the U.S.S. Constitution, during its restoration in Boston Harbor."

Your desk was made between 1935-1948.

My research indicates that it has an estimated retail value of $850-1000

assuming good condition and depending on sale location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,