Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.

I have a black mantel clock that has horse scenes on either

Customer Question

I have a black mantel clock that has horse scenes on either side This is a eight day clock. On the back it says Hunting It is made by Ingraham, Bristol Conn This was my Grandmothers. I am 75, so it must be old I would like to know how much it is worth
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't have a way to add a picture, but the clock is black with horse riding scenes in gold on either side. The back says Hunter It still has the directions information on the back that is a card that has been put on by the Co. This is what says Hunter. The Co name on the bottom says E. Ingraham.Clock and Watch Bristol, Conn.

I am unable to find a match for this item. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Ingraham clock.

Does it look anything like this one?

Let me hear back and we'll go from there.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's it
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is my clock I just got another email that said you were unable to help me, but the picture is the clock I have. I hope to hear from you soon

That's great that we've got a match, thanks so much for confirming.

This Ingraham clock, with its stag hunting scenes in raised relief flanking the dial, was one of the most elaborate scenic cases they made and dates to the late 1920s so is rising ninety years old. In fact if you look at the back of the movement (the 'guts' of the clock) you should be able to read the year and month of manufacture. It's the two numbers that flank the INGRAHAM name engraved on the brass backplate of the movement, the left one is the month and the right one the last two numbers of the year, as in, "28" for "1928", for instance.

The silvered metal dial should read E. Ingraham Clock and Watch, Bristol, Conn. It's an eight day movement with chimes on the hour.

This is a rare example of an Ingraham clock and would be sought after by collectors. If you saw it for sale in a retail setting, in an antique store, say, it would have a full retail price of $750 in working condition. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

Expect to get 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at a good antique auction house or on line (eBay etc).

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,

Once you're happy I've answered your question about your Ingraham clock, please take a moment to rate my services with the stars, as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line and it will be sure to get to me.

Many thanks,