Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

Value of colonial grandfather clock serial # 7412763

Customer Question

value of colonial grandfather clock serial #(###) ###-####
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 5 months ago.

Hi Jeff,

This is Robert here and I'd be happy to help with your Colonial.

Can you attach a photo of the entire clock, so I can see which style it is, and also one of the back of the movement.

Many thanks,
Robert

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
have photos on phone.can I text them to you

Thanks!

Hi Jeff,

This is a lovely clock, I bet those chimes sound beautiful!

It would be described as a Colonial grandfather, or long case clock, with tubular bell "Westminster" chimes. Three brass weights. Traditional hood with swan neck pediment, embossed with bullseyes and centered with an urn finial, enclosing an ornate clock dial and arch displaying the calendar date and moon phase, the mahogany case with ebonized columns and beveled glass. Movement by the Colonial Clock Co. of Zeeland Mich.

Hammers strike tuned tubes suspended from the movement playing Westminster chimes on the quarters and then the full tune on the hour, followed by an hour count on the longest of the five bell tubes.

According to the serial number, your clock dates to the mid-1970s and Colonial grandfather clocks of this era have not accumulated much premium with collectors as yet.

So, if you were to sell on the secondary market, that is, at a good antique auction, your clock would fetch in the range of $500 - $800.

It therefore has a full retail value (if you saw it for sale in an antique store) of $1600. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert