Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

I have a Singer sewing machine that has been in my family

Customer Question

I have a Singer sewing machine that has been in my family for over 75 years. The machine itself looks like it's still in good condition as well as the cabinet. The cabinet has a decal(?) of a dragon on the top that is starting to deteriorate but other than that it's in good condition. The drawers still have some of the peripheral equipment that it came with as well as some printed information. As far as I can determine the machine still could be operable, the only thing it lacks is the belt that attaches from the treadle to the machine. How can I determine the value, we are moving and I don't just want to give it away.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is Glenda

It is very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value!
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,

If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !
Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
Or you may use this method:
Go to
click on Computer
Select the picture file from the box that pops up.
Hit open.
Click on Start Upload
And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this and paste it here.
Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.