Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Ho, I have a very old frame with a tapestry inside. The size

Customer Question

Ho,
I have a very old frame with a tapestry inside.
The size for this tapestry is 95cm*70cm.
How can I find if this tapestry have a value?
Thank you!
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

Your circa 1900 framed decorative tapestry wall art with a 16th century Dutch scene can sell for a high average of $80 - $200 on today's market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your answer!
Can you give me more information about the way this tapestry are made and what kind of material they used?
I want to know more about this tapestry.
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome and my pleasure to be of help. Tapestries, in the Medieval Era in Europe were a sign of wealth, more valuable than gold and silver at one point. They were giant in size because the intended use was to cover whole castle walls during the cold weather season. Most were produced in Belgium (aka Flanders) and France at that time. Over centuries, the art form remained though the need to cover castle walls diminished. To keep the tradition alive, weavers made smaller pieces for decorative purposes. They are made on a loom, usually with colored wool thread and based on a warp and weft weave. Originally, your tapestry would have been in full color however natural dyes are 'fleeting' and many fade from exposure and time. Yours being a Dutch tavern scene was likely made in Belgium.

~Nora