Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I am looking for an appraiser who can come to Belvidere, NJ,

Customer Question

I am looking for an appraiser who can come to Belvidere, NJ, where I have a large Music box to sell. It was made by Baker of Geneva for the Geneva
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It was made by ***** ***** of Geneva for the Geneva Exposition of 1886. Double spring mechanism, 6 cylinders, sublime harmony combs, 8 tunes each. French ebony cabinet, brass & omolu trim, 3 signed French porcelaine plaques, 1 on each door and 1 on the front of the music box itself. Plate glass mirror inside the lid of the music box. Cabinet has 4 drawers in the base to hold extra cylinders. Valued in 1985 at $20,000.00 by Bornand Music Box Company, Pelham NY.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: There is some sun damage to the left side of the case. A small bit of the trim is loose. I have pictures of this music box on my computer which I can send. They show the full box, and its trim and parts. The box has been in my family since 1963.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.

An appraiser charges $150 an hour for in-home visits plus the research and writing time. You would require an appariser if you are considering a donation or if it is an estate tax situation. If interested in selling, I recommend contacting auction houses who can help with a sales estimate and consideration for selling on your behalf. You may want to start with Rago Auctions in Lambertville, NJ. You can contact them through their website, here is the link for you: http://www.ragoarts.com/contact/

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora