Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I have a luce desk but the insignia is not like the usual

Customer Question

I have a luce desk but the insignia is not like the usual one , mine is bronze and says luce Furniture Company on the top underneath Grand Rapids Mi in the middle and has an eagle with Centennial I think that's what it says
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I've been to several antique shops and none of them has heard of Luce Furniture Company. I've looked online and haven't found anything like the desk I have I want to make sure if it's valuable I'm not going to let kids use
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send a photo of your desk.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

Kind regards,

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did the pic send
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have more pics of the Chinese relics
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What file

Yes. I received your photos.

I am very sorry but it is against Just Answer site policy to stack questions.

You will need to go back to the login and enter another piece as a separate question.

I would be delighted to help you there.

Just type "For Doris Only" as the first three words of your question. Most of the pros on the site will respect that request.

Again, I would be glad to help but enter the Chinese pieces in new question.

I will now work on your original question about your desk.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I should return within 30 minutes.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

If another professional enters our exchanges, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's ok I don't need to know about the Chinese relics they mean too much to me I don't think you could put a price on them anyway

Thank you for understanding.

Please read about the Luce Furniture Co on the following site ...

History of the Luce Furniture Co (1896-1930; 1935-1938)

Your desk was made during the 1930s when the company was producing copies of the Federalist period furniture ( 1770s-1820s).

The mark is in reference to the Centennial Furniture period of the 1870s. Centennial refers the 100th year anniversary of the birth of the USA. During this period, there was a revival of the styles used in the 1770s-1780s.

My research indicates that your desk would have an estimated retail value of $550-750 assuming good condition and depending on sale location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites. - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.

Or your nearest where you can list items for free.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,